26 km northeast of Mandawa, Jhunjhunu, the capital of Shekhawati, was founded in the mid 15century by Kayamkhani Nawab Fateh Khan and was overtaken by rajput ruler Sardul Singh in 1730 AD. This largest district town is known for its Khetri Mahal (the Wind Palace) built by Thakur Bhopal Singh of Khetri in 1770. Though it is in a state of disrepair, still a series of arches and columns and fresco art in natural pigments characterises it. It offers good views of the town and the surroundings from the rooftop.
The nearby exquisitely painted Modi Haveli has pictures of train. soldiers, mounting horses, floral motifs, mythological scenes, British Monarchs and Indian Nawabs. The Kaniram Narsinghdas Tibrewala Haveli and the Mohanlal Ishwardas Modi Haveli both have a frieze of trains and human figures in colourful turbans with prominent moustaches.
Also noteworthy is Bihariji ka Temple dedicated to Lord Krishna. The fresco work here is predominantly mythical and religious depicting the Raslila of Lord Krishna and gopis.
Relatively good range of accommodation and transportation facilities here makes Jhunjhunu an excellent place to base you for crisscrossing the Shekhawati circuit. Distances from Jhunjhunu: Mandawa-26 km, Mukundgarh-27 km, Dundlod-32 km, Alsisar-22 km, Bissau-40 km, Bagar-15 km. Surajgarh-45 km. There are regular buses between Jaipur and Jhunjhunu via Sikar. Jaipur-180 km and Sikar-70 km. Jhunjhunu also lies on the route from Delhi to Bikaner.